Advanced Powerboat Instructor - General
A two day endorsement to the RYA Powerboat Instructor qualification to allow the Instructor to teach the Intermediate and Advanced courses and to undertake Own Boat Training outside a school’s operating area.
2 days from 9am to 5pm plus an evening
Instructor to Student Ratio
3 students to 1 RYA Powerboat Trainer
To attend this course you must possess the following qualifications:
- Be a RYA Powerboat Instructor
- Possess your RYA Advanced Powerboat Certificate
- Pass the RYA/MCA Advanced Powerboat Certificate of Competence examination, the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Coastal (Power) Certificate of Competence or the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore (Power) Certificate of Competence.
- Hold a valid commercial endorsement on one of these Certificates of Competence
To teach as an Advanced Powerboat Instructor you must also:
If you achieved your commercial endorsement by holding a pre 2005 Advanced Certificate please contact us.
We would also suggest:
- Whilst not a prerequisite you are recommended to hold the RYA Yachtmaster theory qualification. As a minimum you must have an equivalent level of knowledge.
- You have considerable boating experience in a range of conditions, across a variety of boats in various locations
- You have considerable night boating experience to the extent that i) You can safely manage a boat anywhere at night ii) Teach others how to do it
- The ability to explain any aspect of the Advanced Course with ease as defined by the syllabus.
- You are a very experienced instructor with experience of delivering many Level 2 courses.
Why choose Powerboat Training UK for your RYA Advanced Powerboat Instructor endorsement?
The key thing that we can bring to a course is our considerable experience of training Powerboat and Advanced Powerboat Instructors across the world. The Trainers that run our courses (usually led by Paul Glatzel – author of the RYA Powerboat Handbook & RYA Advanced Powerboat Handbook) run a considerable number of these courses each year and are 100% on top of what is recommended as ‘best practice’ ensuring that those they train are really well placed to then run courses once qualified. As a busy commercial centre we can also offer the chance to come in ahead of a course and sit in with our instructor team on an Advanced course (no charge) which is really beneficial if you can do so.
Our boats ~ with 7.8m and 6.8m Ribcrafts as our main teaching boats we have invested considerably so that you get to use quality kit in great condition. Each RIB is fully equipped for training up to Advanced Instructor level and are fitted with Icom and Garmin electronics.
Our location and teaching facilities ~ Poole Harbour is a truly amazing teaching location – so much so that the RNLI and the Royal Marines base their training operations here. The RNLI are based in our marina and at the last count there were 14 all weather lifeboats in the marina!! Our classrooms are well resourced, professional, clean and tidy.
Likewise our base in Lymington at Aquasafe Powerboat School is at Lymington Yacht Haven which like Cobbs Quay is a large marina with a huge range of craft. Our classrooms are well resourced, clean and professional.
Our Powerboat Trainers The RYA Powerboat Trainers that we work with are highly experienced and deliver many instructor courses each year. They stay 100% in line with current best practice so we can be sure that our Instructor courses are amongst the best there are.
Our history ~ We started the school over ten years ago and have grown a reputation for delivering on our promises. Our clients range from individuals with their own craft to organisations such as Sunseeker, the RNLI and we were awarded the RYA Training contract by Dorset Police for the London 2012 Olympic events in Weymouth.
We are also very proud to have written the RYA Powerboat Handbook for the RYA and 2014 will see the launch of the RYA Advanced Powerboat Handbook.
Course prices The higher price quoted in the ‘Key Course Details’ section above is the price per head for 1 person, for 2 persons the per head cost reduces by 2.5% and for three people by 5%. The price shown is inclusive of VAT.
What is included in the course price? ~ when you undertake your APBI Course on our boats then the price you pay includes fuel and free use of waterproofs/lifejackets – if required. Price includes VAT too.
Does the course price represent good value? ~ remember in life you pretty much get what you pay for. We don’t pretend to be the cheapest but the course will be on well maintained first rate craft, and run by trainers guaranteed to teach current best practice. We have great facilities in a large marina offering a great all-round experience. Check out the other relevant pages on this website to see what we mean.
We also would hope that by attending a course at Powerboat Training UK you will be viewed as an instructor who has trained at one of the centres most respected for delivering high quality career enhancing instructor courses.
Advanced Powerboat Instructor - The Course
The Advanced Powerboat Instructor Endorsement seeks to ensure the potential APBI has the experience, knowledge and competence to teach the Advanced and Intermediate courses. At the same time the endorsement ensures that you know exactly what to teach against all the subject areas of these courses.
The course looks at:
- Are you at the right standard to be able to teach these courses both in respect of practical experience/capability and theoretical knowledge. It does this through on the water practice, discussions on all of the sessions that are run and the planning and execution of a night exercise.
- What are the key teaching points relating to the Intermediate and Advanced Courses.
- How to structure these courses to best effect.
Whereas the PBI course addresses how to teach and a good amount of time is spent on the water practicing teaching the sessions, on the APBI course we tend to either spend time on the water undertaking the sessions or discussing the structure and content of the course.
You will be asked to prepare and teach one or more of the sessions as a means to create a discussion amongst the group on that particular subject. You should be ready to deliver any of the sessions of the intermediate or advanced courses.
As with any course there is a need to demonstrate that you have the required knowledge and competences to be recommended for the award of the Endorsement.
Your Course Trainer
In all likelihood your Course RYA Powerboat Trainer will be Paul Glatzel. Paul has been a Trainer for about 10 years and runs or moderates roughly 25 – 30 Instructor Courses each year. Paul is the Author of the RYA Powerboat Handbook and the RYA Advanced Powerboat Handbook and is also a contributor to the book Heavy Weather Powerboating by Adlard Coles.
Paul trains both leisure and professional powerboaters around the world and in the UK in 2010 completed the Round Britain RIB Rally in a 9m RIB, in 2013 he followed this up with a circumnavigation of Ireland in Top Hat our motor cruiser as part of the Round Ireland Challenge to complete his full trip around the UK and Ireland.
If Paul were absent then a Trainer of a comparable level of experience would run the course.
What materials do I need before the course?
You should possess the most current versions of:
- RYA Powerboat Logbook (Ref G20)
- RYA Power Schemes Instructors Handbook (Ref G19)
- RYA Start Powerboating (Ref G48)
- RYA Powerboat Handbook (Ref G13)
- RYA Advanced Powerboat Handbook (G108) (This launches during the summer/autumn of 2014)
Advanced Powerboat Instructor - Syllabus
The syllabus for the Advanced Powerboat Instructor’s Endorsement is defined in the Power Schemes Instructor Handbook. The course content includes how to train and coach the following aspects:
- Practical boat handling in a variety of situations
- Daytime navigation, theory and practical
- Navigating in darkness, theory and practical
- Lesson and programme planning
- Collision regulations, theory and practical application
- Use of engines – including twin engine installations
- Emergency situations -including search patterns and helicopter rescue
- Boat and crew ‘management’ both day and night
- Effective delivery of all aspects of the RYA Advanced Powerboat course
- A well-developed awareness of safety in all aspects of powerboating
- A thorough knowledge of the activity
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to design stimulating and challenging exercises for potential students
- Being ‘in-charge’ of any given situation or exercise whilst allowing students to develop their own leadership skills in a supportive environment
- Ability to assess students strengths and weaknesses
- Ability to deliver effective feedback in an encouraging, sympathetic and supportive manner
During the course the trainer will be looking for the following to be demonstrated by the candidate :
Advanced Powerboat Instructor - Reviews
Whatever we may think of our courses what really counts is what others think, below are a selection of comments taken directly from the Feedback Forms that we ask are filled in at the end of each course and the emails that we receive post course.
I am still struggling to express without sounding trite just how impressed I was with the course and your whole organisation. From the obvious pride you take in the school’s boats to your commitment to getting the highest possible standards both in courses you deliver and the courses delivered by those you train to instruct. I had high expectations, and they were exceeded in so many areas.
Advanced Powerboat Instructor - Book Now
Thank you for your interest in this course.
Hopefully any dates that we have scheduled work well with your availability. If the dates don't quite work then we are always keen to be as flexible as possible to help accommodate your availability - just contact us and we’ll see what we can do.
We're always really keen to chat to you when you’re booking a course as whilst we are happy to take bookings through this system for your convenience - nothing beats chatting about boats and courses!
Don't forget too that if you are an individual or company/organisation booking a few people onto courses then we may be able to schedule dates around you. Equally, for bookings some time in the future we can usually juggle our course dates if what we have scheduled doesn’t quite work for you.
When you make a booking on this system please remember that is subject to confirmation and you will receive confirmation from us at the latest the next business day. You will not be charged until we send the confirmation.
|Date||Location||Number of places|
|Wed 26th Feb 2020||Lymington|
|Wed 26th Feb 2020||Poole|
|Tue 19th May 2020||Lymington|
|Tue 19th May 2020||Poole|